Canadian Institutes of Health Research, New Investigator Award (2004);
Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Research Fellowships (1998-02 and 2002-03).
In June, 2006, she was presented with the Western Regional Award by the SOGC in recognition of her leadership in research and education.
She has been active in the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada (SOGC), playing a pivotal role in representing her profession as the first midwife associate member to Council, and the first midwife on the Advances in Labour and Risk Management (ALARM) committee. She is a past president of the Association of Ontario Midwives, and a founder and current co-editor of the Canadian Journal of Midwifery Research and Practice.
Stearns J, Morrison K, Holloway A, Surette M, Thabane L, McDonald H, Mousseau A, Schertzer J, Ratcliffe E, Simioni J, Gunn E, Hutton EK. The development of the gut microbiome after exposure to intrapartum antibiotics (IPA): The Baby & Mi prospective cohort Study. Poster presentation. Canadian National Perinatal Research Meeting. Banff, Alberta. February 10, 2016.
Beuckens A, Rijnders M, Verburgt-Doeleman G, Rijninks-van Driel GC, Thorpe J, Hutton EK. An observational study of the success and complications of 2546 external cephalic versions in low-risk pregnant women performed by trained midwives. BJOG. 2016 Feb;123(3):415-23. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.13234. Epub 2015 Feb 2.
Hutton EK, Cappelletti A, Reitsma AH, Simioni J, Horne J, McGregor C, Ahmed RJ. Outcomes associated with planned place of birth among women with low-risk pregnancies. CMAJ. 2015 Dec 22. pii: cmaj.150564.
Butler MM, Hutton EK, McNiven PS. Midwifery education in Canada. Midwifery. 2015 Dec 10. pii: S0266-6138
Hall WA, Hutton E, Brant RF, Collet JP, Gregg K, Saunders R, Ipsiroglu O, Gafni A, Triolet K, Tse L, Bhagat R, Wooldridge J. A randomized controlled trial of an intervention for infants’ behavioral sleep problems. BMC Pediatr. 2015 Nov 13;15(1):181. doi: 10.1186/s12887-015-0492-7.
Hutton EK, Hannah ME, Ross S, Joseph KS, Ohlsson A, Asztalos EV, Willan AR, Allen AC, Armson BA, Gafni A, Mangoff K, Sanchez JJ, Barrett JF; Twin Birth Study Collaborative Group. Maternal outcomes at 3 months after planned caesarean section versus planned vaginal birth for twin pregnancies in the Twin Birth Study: a randomised controlled trial. BJOG. 2015 Nov;122(12):1653-62.
Hutton EK, Hofmeyr GJ, Dowswell T. External cephalic version for breech presentation before term. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Jul 29;7:CD000084.
Magee LA, von Dadelszen P, Rey E, Ross S, Asztalos E, Murphy KE, Menzies J, Sanchez J, Singer J, Gafni A, Gruslin A, Helewa M, Hutton E, Lee SK, Lee T, Logan AG, Ganzevoort W, Welch R, Thornton JG, Moutquin JM. Less-tight versus tight control of hypertension in pregnancy. N Engl J Med. 2015 Jan 29;372(5):407-17. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1404595.
Eileen Hutton PhD
Eileen Hutton has a B.Sc. in Nursing (Queen’s University, 1974), MScN in Parent Child Nursing (University of Toronto, 1985), a Certificate in Midwifery (Michener Institute of Applied Health Sciences, 1993), and a PhD in Clinical Epidemiology (University of Toronto, 2003). She was an assistant clinical professor in the McMaster University Department of Family Medicine from 1993 to 2003, and from 2003 to 2006, an assistant professor at the University of British Columbia in the Division of Midwifery and the Child and Family Research Institute. She is now a Professor in Obstetrics and Gynecology, and the Assistant Dean of the Midwifery Education Program. Prof. Hutton also served as Professor of Midwifery Sciences at Vrije University, Amsterdam from 2010 to 2015 on part-time secondment.
1. Shoemaker ES, Bourgeault IL, Cameron C, Graham ID, Hutton EK. Results of implementation of a hospital-based strategy to reduce cesarean delivery among low-risk women in Canada. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2017 Jul 13. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Hutton EK, Simioni JC, Thabane L. Predictors of success of external cephalic version and cephalic presentation at birth among 1253 women with non-cephalic presentation using logistic regression and classification tree analyses. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2017 Aug;96(8):1012-1020.
3. Poole KL, McDonald SD, Griffith LE, Hutton EK; Early ECV Pilot and ECV2 Trial Collaborative Group. Association of external cephalic version before term with late preterm birth. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2017 Aug;96(8):998-1005.
4. Baron R, Heesterbeek Q, Manniën J, Hutton EK, Brug J, Westerman MJ. Exploring health education with midwives, as perceived by pregnant women in primary care: A qualitative study in the Netherlands. Midwifery. 2017 Mar;46:37-44.
5. Hutton E, Farmer MJ, Carson GD. The Roles of Multidisciplinary Team Members in the Care of Pregnant Women. J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2016 Nov;38(11):1068-1069.
6. Klomp T, Witteveen AB, de Jonge A, Hutton EK, Lagro-Janssen AL. A qualitative interview study into experiences of management of labor pain among women in midwife-led care in the Netherlands. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol. 2017 Jun;38(2):94-102.